Spinal cord injuries can have devastating consequences, profoundly impacting the lives of those affected. Understanding how injuries to the spine occur and the legal recourse available is essential for recovering adequate compensation for you from the party responsible. At Jordan Law Center in Greenville, South Carolina, our spinal cord injury lawyers will listen to the details of your case and help you take the first steps toward recovering compensation.
What a Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Does
Our spinal cord injury attorneys wield their knowledge in catastrophic injury law to help victims of negligence recover compensation from their accident. Our primary role is to advocate for your rights while navigating the sometimes complex legal system. Our work includes lessening the mental and emotional impact of spinal cord damage.
Key duties we perform include:
- Free legal consultation: We conduct a comprehensive consultation to understand your injury’s circumstances and evaluate the potential for a personal injury case.
- Case investigation: We investigate the incident independently, gathering evidence, medical records, and witness statements to establish liability. We also collaborate with medical experts to assess the extent of your injuries and the long-term impact on your life.
- Negotiation: We negotiate with the insurance company, responsible parties, and legal defense to reach a fair settlement covering all the damages resulting from the accident and your injuries.
- Litigation: When a settlement is too difficult, we prepare and file a lawsuit on your behalf, presenting the case in court and using legal expertise to argue for maximum compensation.
- Support: We provide ongoing support and guidance, addressing your concerns and ensuring you understand the process.
We always have your best interests in mind and commit to helping you secure the compensation necessary to rebuild your life and address any financial consequences that arise in the future.
How Spinal Cord Injuries Occur
Spinal cord injuries typically result from traumatic incidents. When someone else is responsible for the accident and injuries, the victims can file a personal injury claim for compensation.
Common situations that result in spinal cord injuries and personal injury claims include:
- Slip and falls: The force of impact on the floor or ground can affect the spine. Uneven surfaces, wet floors, or inadequate safety features in public places or private properties can contribute.
- Car accidents: The sudden impact and force involved in collisions can lead to spinal cord trauma. Injuries can occur from the twisting, jolting, or compression within the vehicle during the accident.
- Workplace injuries: Certain workplaces, such as construction sites or factories, pose a higher risk of spinal cord injuries. When a third party is at fault, victims can file a lawsuit to hold them liable for more than the limited resources provided by a workers’ comp claim.
The spinal cord can sustain injuries ranging from mild to severe, with potential long-term consequences. Immediate medical attention is essential to assess the extent of damage and initiate appropriate treatment. When the accident involves negligence or a wrongful act, our spinal cord injury lawyer can step in to fight for your rights.
Long-term complications from spinal cord injuries
Spinal cord injuries can result in many long-term complications, depending on the location and severity of the injury. Paralysis is one of the most significant and common consequences, with individuals experiencing partial or complete loss of sensation and motor function below the injury site.
Beyond paralysis, individuals with spinal cord injuries may experience chronic pain, muscle atrophy, and bladder and bowel control loss, necessitating lifelong medical management and adaptive equipment. Pressure sores and skin infections due to immobility are also common challenges.
Spinal cord injuries may also lead to respiratory problems, making breathing difficult, and may increase susceptibility to respiratory infections. Mentally, people may face psychological challenges like depression and anxiety as they adapt to new circumstances.
Compensation for Spinal Cord Injuries
As spinal cord injury lawyers, we can identify the types of damages available to recover in an insurance claim. Common examples include:
- The cost of current and future medical bills, including surgeries, therapy, medications, and assistive devices
- The income lost due to the injury, encompassing past wages and anticipated future earnings if the injury affects your ability to work
- The physical pain, mental distress, and reduced quality of life caused by the injury
- The cost of ongoing rehabilitation and adaptive modifications to facilitate daily life
You also may have lost a loved one who succumbed to a severe spinal cord injury caused by another party. During a case review, we can discuss your options for filing a wrongful death claim and recovering compensation for the financial losses and emotional pain and suffering you endured.
Contact Our Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Greenville Today
If you suffered a spinal cord injury because of another person’s actions, our spinal cord injury lawyers can help you access the compensation you deserve. At Jordan Law Center, we take our roles as legal representatives seriously and are not afraid to litigate to hold the at-fault party in your case financially responsible. Contact us in Greenville, South Carolina, to schedule your free consultation today.